Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Week 15 Summary & Review

Here is what we got last week and how I used it:

Beets - I roasted them and made the salad above with feta, walnuts, and a vinaigrette made from olive oil, avocado oil, and balsamic vinegar. We also had some leftover roast chicken, so we all had mini chicken salad sandwiches to go with them. The kids had the sandwiches, but had a pear instead of the salad.

Onions - Used on the salad above. I have one left to use.

Cantaloupe - We ate it for dessert one night, and snacks the next day.

Green Peppers - I will stuff these. I am hoping we get a few more, so the each member of the family can have one.

Apples - Ate for snacks through the week and made these little apple pies last night for dinner. I had prepared the little tarts a couple of months ago. There were waiting in the freezer for a little inspiration. Yesterday seemed like a good day to pull them out and make some apple pie.

Mini Apple Pies

Acorn Squash - still plan on making soup out of them OR, a commenter left a good suggestion for this Roasted Corn Chowder with Acorn Squash.

Potatoes - Made some potato soup.

Broccoli - Made Pasta & Broccoli for the kids.

2 Delicata Winter Squash - I roasted these and made a twice baked version. I read that the skin was edible, but after the first 2nd baking, the skin were pretty chewy and no one ate the skin. I roasted them one day and did the 2nd baking the next day. I should have roasted a couple potatoes with them and mashed them up with the rest of the mixture of sour cream, chopped onion (prob about 1/4 cup), butter (about 2 Tablespoons), salt and pepper so that they were more rounded on top. The taste was EXCELLENT but presentation was lacking.

Chicken, Broccoli & Delicata Squash

Kale - Kale Chips -- that I forgot in the oven after I made them. I turned the oven off to let them crisp and didn't remembered them until I turned the oven back on to preheat for the roast chicken on Sunday.....opps.

UPDATE: I said I was going to time myself this week, but I forgot until today, and will have to start next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment