Thursday, September 24, 2009

Homemade Tortillas with Recipe

Homemade Tortillas with refried beans, cheese, avacado, and hot sauce

I really like to have tortillas on hand because they make an extremely quick dinner or lunch when filled with any number of goodies (we'll save that for another post).  What I don't like is that most of the ones of the grocery store have a lot of extra junk in them.  Trader Joes has some with basic ingredients, but they often go bad before I use them since I am saving them for "emergency" use.  So I wondered, how hard could it be to make them myself, when they only consist of a handful of ingredients?  The Answer: SUPER EASY!

I looked online and saw a few variations of the same recipe.  Here is what I came up with:

1. Stir Together
2 cup of flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder

2. Work In:
1 Tablespoon butter

3. Add until you have a soft dough:
3/4 cup warm water

4. Knead for 5 minutes

Tortilla Dough Kneaded, and ready to Be Weighed and Split

5. Divide into 1/4 cup (3 oz) portions

.3 Tortillas

6. Roll Flat into 6-inch circles

Tortilla Rolled Out Ready to be Cooked

7. Brown on both sides in a medium-hot pan.

Tortilla in the Pan

Tortilla after being flipped

8. Top with your favorites and enjoy!

2 comments:

Carrie Klein said...

love the use of avocado! that picture made me hungry. your blog reminds me of julie and julia. i'm sure you've been told that before.

aMichiganMom said...

Carrie, I'm glad you like it. It was actually a rather anemic looking avocado. I've never heard that about my blog before, but I know people liked the movie, so thanks! I really need to see it. I rented the original French Chef DVD 1st season with Julia Child, and plan on watching it tonight. I heard its a hoot. We'll see.

Post a Comment