Wednesday, September 16, 2009

3 Uses for One Bunch of Beets



3 Uses for Your Beets, originally uploaded by HiMalta.
Today we got beets in our share. I cut them up into their three parts; the beets, the greens, and the stems.

  • The beets I'll roast and then cook into something.
  • The greens I'll blanch and freeze for winter use in a lasagna
  • The stems I boiled in water, strain out and use the dyed water to make a natural dye for my kids Play-Doh.
Disney's Family Fun magazine had a recipe for make your own dough that uses natural coloring to color the Play-Doh-like mixture, something I have been looking for for a long time.

Here is the Play-Doh recipe:
1 cup flour
3/8 cup salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Natural Dye

Natural Play-Doh Color Options:
Brown - 3/8 plus one tablespoon hot water and 4 tablespoons cocoa powder.
Fuchsia - 3/8 cup beet juice
Orange - 3/8 cup how water and 1 tablespoon paprika
Yellow - 3/8 cup water and 1 tablespoon turmeric

2 comments:

ImCookin said...

I'd be interested in the beet greens lasagna recipe! I can't find it on your blog, but I might just be looking in the wrong place...

aMichiganMom said...

I linked to it in the article now, and here is a link to that post: http://www.amichiganmom.com/2009/07/kale-lasagna-with-bbq-summer-squash.html

Post a Comment