Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Whole Wheat Pancakes with Strawberries

Whole Wheat Pancakes & Fresh Strawberries

When I was a kid, whenever my dad wasn't able to join us for dinner, my mom would always make us something special that wasn't typical dinner fare. French toast, mini-pizzas, pancakes, or tuna cassserole (my dad didn't like it). Tonight, inspired by my husband's absence and the strawberries we got in our share, I decided to make pancakes for dinner.

I make pancakes frequently, usually for breakfast, but for sometime I've been wanting to try to make whole wheat pancakes. My non-whole wheat ones are good, but I've been adding whole wheat here and there to all my other recipes and I figured it was time to finaly add it to my pancakes.

This time I sought out a new recipe rather than trying to modify an exsiting recipe of mine. I started with the recipe from the King Arthur Flour Company (my favorite flour), but made some substitutions/changes based on what I actually had in my pantry.

Here is their recipe

Here is my Whole Wheat Pancakes Recipe:

4 cups King Arthur whole wheat flour
1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
3 1/2 cups oat flour
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 cup vegetable oil

1.) Mix all the dry ingredients together with the paddle on your stand mixer. Then slowly pour the vegetable oil into the dry mixture till it's crumbly. You can do this without a stand mixer, just make sure you don't have any big clumps of oil.

2.) Store the mix you want (1 week room temp in pantry or a very long time in freezer or fridge). My suggestion would also be to write down the remaining steps and ingredients down and tape it to whatever container you store it in, so you don't have to look up the recipe when you are ready to make your pancakes. Something like this:

Whole Wheat Pancake Mix

To finish the pancakes:
1/2 cup Milk
1 6oz. container of plain yogurt
1/2 tsp. orange extract
1 egg

3) Take one cup of the dry mixture and mix it with the wet ingredients. Let it rest for 3o mins.

4.) Pour them by the 1/4 cup onto an hot griddle, flip them, top them, and you are done.

One note: the picture below shows the most bubbles I could get on the top of these pancakes to know when to flip them. If you've ever made non-whole wheat pancakes from scratch you know to look for all the bubbles so you know when to flip them, but I never got the right amount of bubbles on these pancakes.

Whole Wheat Pancake Ready to Turn

Here is the kid version of Whole Wheat Pancakes all cut up and ready to go. I always cut them with a pizza cutter because I find it cuts them without tearing them up like a knife can do...plus it is much faster.

Kid Version of Whole Wheat Pancakes


No comments:

Post a Comment