Thursday, July 23, 2009

Week 5 Summary & Review - Kale Lasagna with BBQ Summer Squash


Here is what I did with last week's share. Even though we were on vacation, I managed to use it all up, I just brought it with me.

Lettuce - made salads
Garlic - hanging in my basement curring
Zucchinis & Patty Pan Squash - Zucchini Soup
Broccoli - We had chicken for dinner one night and used this as a side dish (there were a lot of us)
Kale - Made a pretty good Kale Lasagna as follows:

Kale Lasagna Recipe

16 oz. of Ricotta Cheese
1 egg
1 onion chopped
2 massive (or 4-6 medium) cloves of garlic
1 bunch of kale, washed and trimmed
1/2 cup fresh chopped Parsley
1 box of no boil lasagna noodles
28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes with Basil (I use Whole Foods 365 brand)
16 oz can of tomato sauce (I use Muir Glenn)
Fennel to taste (probably about 1 tsp)
Garlic Powder (probably about 1/2 tsp)
16 oz. of fresh mozzarella, sliced
salt & pepper to taste.

1. Prepare Kale/Ricotta Mixture. Saute onion and garlic until cooked mostly through. Add Kale, sprinkle with salt and let it wilt down (cover it to encourage it). Once it has cooked down, remove from heat, add the ricotta, 1 scrambled egg, salt & pepper to taste.

2. Prepare Sauce. Open cans, mix together, add spices

3. Assemble Lasagna.
* One scoop of sauce on bottom of pan
* Noodles
* 1/2 of ricotta mixture
* Noodles
* couple scoops of Sauce & sliced mozzarella
* Noodles
* Remaining ricotta mixture
* Noodles
* Remaining sauce & sliced mozzarella, top with Parmesan.

4. Cook :-) 400F oven for 25 mins covered, 25 mins uncovered. Let rest 5-10 mins. before serving. I served it with some grilled zucchini, and it was good!

5.) Enjoy

UPDATE (9/15/09): I tried this with Beet Greens, and it turned out just as good

2 comments:

ImCookin said...

Thanks! We'll be trying both versions probably as we always have access to an abundance of both. :)

aMichiganMom said...

Great. Please let me know how it turns out. Sometimes, I use my hand blender to put it in the can of crushed tomatoes and blend up the crushed tomatoes a bit, if I think they are too chunky.

Post a Comment