Monday, October 12, 2009

Week 16 & Week 17 Summary & Review




Here is a summary of what I have done with the shares for the past two weeks:

Here is how I used Week 16's Share:
Eggplant - Pictured above, I stuffed them with a mixture of ground beef, onions, cooked eggplant flesh, salt & pepper, eggs and bread crumbs.  
Leeks - I cut them up and used it in a cabbage salad. I was half way into making it when I realized that I didn't have a lemon for the dressing. I used vinegar instead, but the lemon would have been much better.
Cabbage - I used 1/2 for a cabbage salad mentioned above and the other 1/2 for a Borscht Soup from the Pressure Perfect cookbook.
Green Peppers - I stuffed them with a mixture of ground beef, bulgar, onions, eggs, breadcrumbs, salt & pepper.  I put them in the slow cooker and had them cook in a tomato sauce (1 28-oz. can of crushed tomatoes, 1 14-oz can tomato sauce, 1 tsp fennel seeds, 1 tsp salt, pepper to taste, and 1 tsp garlic powder) that I used the next day for a pasta sauce.  It turned out very nice, and convenient.
Acorn Squash - Saving for after the season, probably for some soup.
Apples - My friend let me borrow her food dehydrator and we made some yummy dried apples.
Delicata Squash - I still plan to remake them as a twice baked version, since I had some improvements I wanted to make from last time, but have to do it soon.
Brussels Sprouts - I saw this recipe for a side dish. I used hot dogs since it was the first time the kids ate Brussels sprouts.  They were really good, but the kids were still a little leery on them. I will persevere and find a way for them to eat them!
Mixed Greens - Salads throughout the week.
Summer Squash - put them on the BBQ for some end-of-summer fun!
Onions - Used for cooking during the week.

Here is how I used Week 17's Share:
Acorn Squash - Soup
Onions - Used for cooking for the week
Arugula - Arugula Pizza. It was excellent. My husband said it is the best arugula he has had in the United States.
Butternut Squash - Storing for winter.
Beets - I made this Borscht soup from the Pressure Perfect cookbook.
Brussels Sprouts - Side Dish. Made the same recipe from above.
Green Peppers - Cut up and froze for winter use.

1 comment:

Prince Andrew and the Queen Mum said...

hogging your comments tonight...
arugula pizza is out of this world. if you have some basil..and a vitamix or food processor.. put the basil, some cashews, evoo.. blend it all up..put that as a base on the bread. (I use rice tortillas.)then add arugula and sliced tomatoes- bake. yummo. if it wasn't 11:30 at night i'd consider making it right now. mouth watering.

Post a Comment