Friday, October 30, 2009

Week 20 Maple Creek Farm CSA 2009 - October 28, 2009

Week 20 Maple Creek Farm CSA 2009 - October 28, 2009

Here is what we got this week and how I plan to use it:

Apples - My son and I ate two the day we got them, and they were excellent.  Two more left for a snack this week.
Brussels Sprouts - Bringing them to my mom's house to go with our Halloween Dinner.
Acorn Squash - I am going to try and bake them, puree the flesh, and use it in my pumpkin bread with coconut milk recipe.  I will post the recipe.
Cabbage - A Cabbage Salad
Red Onions - For cooking through the week
Mixed Greens - Salads through the week
Beets - Roasted beet salad with walnuts and feta.

I am so sad that the CSA season is over.  The quality of the food we have been getting every week is far superior to what we can get in the grocery store.  For example, this week I bought some Kale at the grocery store.  Compared to what I've been getting in the share or at the farmer's market, this was some sad Kale.  It was slightly wilted, had no smell to it, and the leaves were very small.

During the season I would pick up the share during lunch and bring it back to my office until I was ready to go home.  Every week without exception the share would small my entire office up with the wonderful aromas of whatever we got that week: apples, kale, onions, cabbage, arugula, everything.  This is what is frustrating about living in Michigan.  I love the fresh fruits and veggies, but our choices for fresh, locally grown fruit and vegetables are almost non-existent in winter.  June seems like such a long way away....

5 comments:

Sabina da Lovely Nesting said...

your blog is very nice!! :)

aMichiganMom said...

Thanks so much!

seemefly said...

I'm looking into joining a (semi) local csa and ran across Maple Creek Farm's site. You're pictures look amazing, it's ashame that we have to go through winter and have to wait... I was also looking into online organic delivery sites, but am kinda leery about that right now (is it really organic??). Looks like I'm going to have to start setting aside some money and invest in that csa membership for Maple Creek, again, you're pics looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!

aMichiganMom said...

There is a winter CSA in Ann Arbor: http://www.locavorious.com/ its a little too far for me having 2 young kids and working, but it looks great if you could make the trip out there. The winter produce drought is one of the very frustrating things about living in Michigan.

I used an organic delivery service for awhile, but it didn't work out. They kept getting my order wrong and the fruit was bad now and then. Since I live so close to Whole Foods it really wasn't worth it for me, but if I ever moved far away from one, I would probably do it again.

Prince Andrew and the Queen Mum said...

i know they restructured the shares this year.. and there is no guarantee .. but wondered what the cost was last year for this share. I did email them and they said it wasn't a banner year. curious. thanks.

Post a Comment