Thursday, June 10, 2010

Strawberry Picking at Rowe's Produce Farm

Yeah! June is here, and that means Strawberry Picking.  Today my mom and I went Strawberry picking at Rowe's Produce Farm in Ypsilanti , Michigan (we also picked some sugar snap peas that were amazingly good).    Thought I would share some pictures of the day with you, followed by a few pictures that show how I freeze them for use through the rest of the year. 


Rowe's Produce Farm

Walking to the Strawberry Fields

Strawberry Plant

IMG_3242

IMG_3241

Picking Strawberries

IMG_3244

Our Strawberry Bounty

Here is how I Prep the Strawberries for the Freezing.
  1. Wash the strawberries
  2. Hulled the by hand (didn't even need the OXO strawberry huller because they were easy to just twist off).
  3. Placed them on a dishtowel that was on top of a cookie sheet, put another dishtowel on top of the strawberries.  
  4. Place the cookie sheet in the freezer
  5. Once they are frozen, put the strawberries in a plastic bag for use during the year.  

Washing the Strawberries

Drying & Hulling the Strawberries

Freezing Strawberries on a Cookie Sheet

Individually Frozen Strawberries for use during the year

We had a great time.  When I was helping my daughter into bed tonight I said "I had fun with you today my little strawberry picker."  She replied, "Mama, I am not a strawberry picker, I am a strawberry eater." :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment