Friday, June 11, 2010

Preparing & Freezing Meatballs for Use Through the Month, with Video

One thing I have been trying to get better at doing is double prepping my meals.  There are so many things I like to do in summer that do not involve being in the kitchen cooking.  So I try to double every freezable recipe that I make so I cut my cooking time for the month in half.  For example, this week I doubled and froze everything I made so that the week of June 20th, I won't have to cook at all, I just have to pull things out of the freezer and heat them up.

Today I made and froze my meatballs.  These will actually serve us for about 4 meals.  Here is how I make them with the ingredients shown below.
Ingredients for the Meatballs

1. Mix the eggs, sprinkle parsley, salt and pepper over the top.
Parsley in the Egg Mixture

2. Put in 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder.
Adding Garlic Powder

3. Put in 1 cup of breadcrumbs in the mixture.  I make my breadcrumbs by saving the ends from my Food for Life Sprouted bread in a freezer bag for a couple months, then once I have enough, I chop them up in the food processor and put them back in the freezer for use when I need them.
Adding Breadcrumbs

4. Mix that up well.
Breadcrumbs, Eggs and Seasonings before the Meat goes in

5. Add your meat into the mixture and bring it all together with your hands.
Meatball Mix

6. Line a baking sheet with foil, parchment paper or plastic wrap and shape your meat mixture into balls.  I like to use a melon baller, but your hands work just as well.  Note: I have never tried it, but I think if you really wanted to prep a lot of meat, this mixture would probably work well for burgers.  You could double the recipe and pre-shape and then freeze some burgers to have on hand as well.   





Making Meatballs

7. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the freezer.
Meatballs ready to go in the freezer

8. Once they are frozen, take them off the tray and put the meatball in a bag.
Frozen Meatballs

What are your favorite dishes to use meatballs in?  I usually use mine for pasta or Italian Wedding Soup.

Featured Product:

No comments:

Post a Comment