Thursday, June 10, 2010

Book Review: Family Feasts for $75 a Week

Family Feasts for $75 a Week

I checked this book, Family Feasts for $75 a Week, out of the library.  I found a number of recipes that I adapt to the way I like to cook.  For starters if you are cooking almost 100% organic like I do, you will go over $75 a week, but her techniques, tips, suggestions, and resources can still help you lower your organic grocery bill.  Much of it I already knew, but I did a learn a few new things, like the fact that you can freeze cooked beans to have on hand.  Since I don't use canned beans, this was helpful information to learn.

This is a great book that has a lot of resources on how to save money in the kitchen whether you cook organic or not.  She has an AWESOME recipe for a make-your-own taco seasoning mix that we tried.  We have also really liked the recipes for Chili Corn Pone Pie and the Thai Lettuce Wraps.  I really like that she has some "ethnic" recipes in there that provide some variation in flavor to our dinner table menu.  I still have many more recipes I would like to try as you can see from the flags on my book.  Too bad it is a library book, I might just have to buy it!

Here is a photo of the taco seasoning mix we used on our ground beef / ground turkey mix for tacos last night.  The only change I made was I put a little less Cayenne pepper in so it wasn't too spicy for the kids.  The mix makes a lot, so you have it on hand.  You would only use 1/4 cup per pound of meat.  I don't want to post the recipe here because I don't want to infringe on her copyright, but you can either buy the book or search Google for other Make Your Own Taco Seasoning Blends to find your own version.

Taco Seasoning Mix

Featured Product:

2 comments:

Daisy @ Our Growing Family said...

I am going to HAVE to check out that recipe. :) I've really been wanting to find a way to make a mix from scratch. Would you say your version makes a "mild" taco seasoning? I definitely need mild! (I have heard that posting recipes doesn't infringe on any copyright privileges, but I'm no expert.) And since learning about cooking beans and then freezing, that is the only way I get beans. It's wonderful, and even my husband has commented that they taste much better and fresher. I just cook them in the crockpot. Too easy! Off to see if my library has this book!

aMichiganMom said...

I like things spicy, but the kids do not, with the lower cayenne pepper they didn't think it was too spicy.

I think if you REALLY wanted it mild, you could leave out the cayenne pepper altogether.

Post a Comment