Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Slow Cooker Zucchini Bisque

Looking for something to do with all the zucchini showing up in your garden/farmer's market/CSA box?  This is one of my favorite recipes because it is EASY!  Freezes well and tastes amazing!  This recipe is from my favorite slow cooker cookbook, Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook.

Slow Cooker Zucchini Bisque Soup
my notes are in ( )

6 Tablespoons of butter cut into 3 or 4 pieces
1 large onion (2-3 leeks work well too)
1/2 teaspoon of curry powder
1 1/2 pounds of zucchini (I have used up to 2 lbs before)
2 heaping tablespoons of white basmati rice
1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
3 cups of chicken broth (homemade broth makes this soup extra good)
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup of half-and-half

1. Put the butter, onion, curry powder, and zucchini in the slow cooker, cover, and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes.
2. Add the rice, basil and broth.  Cover, cook on low for 5-6 hours (I have stretched it out longer)
3. Puree soup with an immersion blender.  Season with salt and pepper.  Stir in half-n-half and cover continuing to heat on low until heated through.  Do not boil.

Freezer Notes: If you want to freeze this, omit the half-n-half step.  Freeze without the half-n-half, but add it back in when you defrost the soup to heat it up and eat it.

Products Mentioned in this Post:

2 comments:

NicoleD said...

Sounds delicious!

Ben the Crcok Pot King said...

The recipe sounds awesome, but what I noticed is that you mentioned that you can freeze it. Lately I've been seeing a lot of articles on freezing food, which I think is great in the sense that you save a lot of time. Please keep it up!!!
I've already bookmarked your post.

Post a Comment