Friday, April 30, 2010

Questions I ask Myself



I feel that my sweet tooth is my biggest road block to feeling fully healthy.  Avoiding sweet treats, candies and pastries is something that is important to me because I think sugar wreaks havoc on my body.  As I have omitted sugar from my diet, the effects when I do eat it are immediatly obvious.  Yet, even with my desire to stop indulging in sweets, I've still been know to eat a few too many cookies.  I don't think I will ever fully give up sweets, because I want to be able to enjoy birthday cake with my kids and an ice cream on a warm summer night, but I really want it to be the exception rather than the rule.  So when I am deciding whether I am going to have a cookie (or another one), here is a list of questions I am trying to get in the habit of asking myself.

  • Am I hungry?
  • Is this a food that will aid me in my long term goal of being healthy?
  • Would I let my children eat this?
  • Am I setting a healthy example for my children by eating this (or this much) ?
  • What is this food going to do to my body?
  • And when I am out, would it be better to donate the money I would spend on this treat to someone who is REALLY hungry?

I am not perfect, and despite answering these questions, I still eat more sweets than I want to, but getting in the habit of answering them before I eat my sweets has helped me cut out a lot of junk and I hope they take me even further.

Do you have questions you ask yourself to curb what temps you?

Thanks for the photo Bossacafez

No comments:

Post a Comment