Tuesday, May 03, 2011

No Sugar Almond Flour Muffins (with low sugar option)

These muffins are what I eat for breakfast every morning with my coffee or tea.  They have no added sugar, only the sugar from 1 banana and 1/2 cup of blueberries spread out between the 24 muffins.  I like to use almond flour because I find it much more filling than a wheat flour.

Sugar Free Muffins (with low sugar option)

5 cups of balanced almond flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
6 eggs
2 tablespoons of vanilla
1 banana
1/2 cup of honey (optional)
1/2 cup of blueberries

1. ) Mix all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Make a well in the center.
2.) Put all of the wet ingredients in the well of the dry ingredients.  Use a hand blender or a fork to mash/mix the eggs, banana and vanilla (and honey if using).  
3.) Mix in blueberries, fill muffin cups 1/3 to 1/2 the way full with batter.
4.) Bake in a 300F oven for 25-35 minutes.

Almond Flour Muffins

A few notes:
* I find that these do not store for very long, so I put them in the freezer and defrost them in my toaster oven each morning.
* Did you notice how brown the banana was in the picture?  That is because when they get old, I throw them in the freezer and then pull them out when I need to cook with them.  Once defrosted, just snip off the top of the banana with a pair of scissors and press out the banana from the bottom right into your bowl.  It will be pre-mashed.  


Products Mentioned in this Post:
           






3 comments:

Big Shoe Inc said...

Is there an ingredient missing or possibly an error in the amount of flour?

I am substituting coconut flour for the almond flour but I don't think that would explain how dry it is... it's not exactly batter.

aMichiganMom said...

I read the Cooking with Coconut Flour book (http://t.co/sb26UNI) last year and in that book the author said that you cannot just substitute coconut flour for other flours because it absorbs SO MUCH moisture. And when you look through his recipes most of them have ALOT of eggs/liquid. If you want to cook with coconut flour I recommend that book.

Big Shoe Inc said...

Thanks

Post a Comment