Sunday, May 16, 2010

How to Make Yogurt

Our family likes to eat a lot of yogurt.  Yogurt can get expensive when every person of our four-member family eats it everyday.  It gets even more expensive because I am picky about how my yogurt is made, what is added to it, etc.  So I have learned to make it myself at home.  It is super easy to do yourself, and once you get in the habit of it, it will become like second nature when you are in the kitchen.

The video below describes how I usually make yogurt, followed by a few notes about making yogurt.



One thing I forgot to mention in the video is that homemade yogurt will be thinner than commercially made yogurt because they add things like dried milk powder to stabilize the yogurt.  Even when you start with whole milk, do not expect to get yogurt as thick as what you buy from the grocery store.  The taste, however, will be the same (probably better).

Needed Equipment: None, you can do this totally without anything more than some milk and a way to heat it up. You don't even need a yogurt maker.  Google has plenty of suggestions on how to make yogurt without a yogurt maker, but I choose to use a yogurt maker and digital thermometer that beeps when my desired milk temperature is reached so I achieve more consistent results.

Featured Products:
    <-- Way too expensive on Amazon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie,
I have been making yogurt for a few months now and my son loves it, but my daughter does not like it. She has gotten used to the yobaby yogurt and I have been trying to figure out how to make it so that it is somewhat similar to their yogurt, but I have not been successful. I have tried to make strawberry yogurt for her following the recipe that came with my book, but every time I add the cooked fruit in to the milk mixture it curdles. Have you tried making flavored yogurt or do you just make it plain? I love eating my homemade yogurt mixed with my strawberry jam and fresh strawberries, it is so good.

aMichiganMom said...

I have never tried adding the fruit while I am making it because everyone in the family likes different toppings on it, so I like the flexibility of having the plain yogurt in the fridge and adding what each person wants as I serve it. I did try making it with tea one time (http://www.amichiganmom.com/2009/10/homemade-yogurt-with-flair-chai-tea.html) and that turned out really nice.

Post a Comment