Sunday, November 08, 2009

Vegetable Tomato Soup with Alphabet Pasta

Eden Foods Vegetable Pasta

I am a big proponent of using recipes from the back of boxes and packages.  I think that companies want their ingredients to shine through so why wouldn't they provide you with a recipe that was top notch?  This attitude helped me stumble on the recipe for Creamy Alphabet Tomato Soup that I saw on the package of Eden Foods' Vegetable Alphabets.  I modified the recipe, because I am not a big fan of soy.  But it is really yummy, the kids and hubby like it - a lot!  It will come in very handy if you have a hand blender, but a regular blender will do, you just have to work in batches.

Here is my version of their recipe for Creamy Alphabet Tomato Soup:

1 Tablespoon Eden Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 cup onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup carrots, diced
1/3 cup celery, diced
1 1/2 cup Chicken stock
28 ounces can of 
Eden Organic Crushed Tomatoes (FYI: their cans aren't lined with BPA)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon 
Eden Sea Salt, or to taste
1/2 cup 
Eden Organic Vegetable Alphabets
1 cup heavy whipping cream (milk or half and half will substitute fine, it will just be a little less creamy)

Directions

Cook the pasta according to package directions, rinse, drain and set aside.

Heat the oil in a medium soup pot. Sauté the onions and garlic for 2 minutes. Add the celery and carrots. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the basil, oregano, black pepper, sea salt and tomatoes. Mix, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the flame and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Puree the soup using a hand blender.  Mix in the cream and cooked pasta. Bring almost to a boil. Do not boil. Reduce the flame to low and simmer 1 to 2 minutes until the pasta is warm and serve.



Note: My kids like it when I pile the pasta in the middle, rather than mixing it into the soup as the recipe states above.

Creamy Alphabet Tomato Soup

4 comments:

Nicole said...

YUM!!! my kids LOVE soup so I will definately have to try this out! Thanks for sharing!

Marj said...

Julie, I just bought the ingredients (at whole Foods) for this Soup--It sounds soooo good!
Now I just need the Hand Blender :-) because I don't own one, and I think the Hand version would be all I need.
Yesterday, I made your Mom's Chicken Barley Soup.
So glad soup season is here.
Gram. Marj.

Sarah said...

I actually read somewhere (maybe on our local food coop website) that Eden Organics does not use bpa in their can liners for their beans only, and that their other cans still use bpa. I checked Eden's website and this is what I found:
"Eden Organic Beans are packed in steel cans coated with a baked on oleoresinous c-enamel that does not contain the endocrine disrupter chemical, bisphenol-A (BPA). Oleoresin is a natural mixture of an oil and a resin extracted from various plants, such as pine or balsam fir. These cans cost 14% more than the industry standard cans that do contain BPA. The can maker, Ball Corporation, tells us that Eden is the only U.S. food maker to date to use these BPA free cans and we have been since April 1999. Eden Organic Tomatoes are packed in steel cans coated with a baked on r-enamel lining. Due to the acidity of tomatoes, the lining is epoxy based and may contain a minute amount of bisphenol-A, it is however in the 'non detectable' range according to independent laboratory extraction tests. The test was based on a detection level at 5 ppb (parts per billion)."

aMichiganMom said...

Thanks for the heads up Sarah. I'll remove the note.

Post a Comment