Tuesday, November 03, 2009

No Sugar November


My next birthday goal (March 2010) is to kick my sugar habit.  I've been slowly chipping away at it for the past 6 months by doing the following:
  • Changing my relationship with food choices to something I do for my health rather than for my weight.
  • Educating myself about sugar and what it does to my body.  
  • Being aware of how my body feels after I eat sugar.
  • Finding healthy replacements, not artificial ones when I do feel like sweetness.
  • Omitting foods that don't have healthy replacements (granola bars, sugar in my coffee, cereal)
  • Reading labels to make sure there are no added sweeteners in the ingredient list.
These things have made a big dent in how much sugar I eat compared to six months ago.  I have noticed a lot of differences since reducing my sugar.  But now I am interested in what would change if I gave up all sugar for a month?  So that is what I am doing, November of 2009 is going to be sugar free for me.

To me a No Sugar November means: 
  • No sugar.  
  • No corn syrup.  
  • No sweeteners, fake or real, of any kind in the ingredients list of anything I buy.  
  • Naturally occurring fruit and milk sugars are OK.  
Those are the rules I made for myself.  Some of this will be easy for me (I haven't had Corn Syrup in a long time).  Some of it will be hard.

I think my biggest challenges are going to be:
  • Giving up my baked good.  I don't bake nearly as much as I used to, and what I do bake now, usually has raw honey or sucanat in it in place of sugar, but I think I will miss them.
  • Giving up raw honey.  I thought a long time to see what I was going to do about raw honey.  I believe that raw honey can be a great sweetener with health benefits, but for this month I will give it up.
  • Giving up my teaspoon of brown sugar in my morning oatmeal.
  • Giving up my occasional treats with friends and the kids.  
So why am I excited about "Giving Up" so much?  I think it is going to be fun to see all that I GAIN from giving up my bad sugar habits!

Click here to subscribe!

4 comments:

Nicole said...

wow, julie...i give you a lot of credit for your will power. i will be anxious to see what you report back!

Anonymous said...

Good for you!!! I have taken on this challenge before and when I slowly introduced sugars back into my diet I really noticed a difference in how I felt.

You and I are like-minded, I always think about how "this or that" will make me feel before I eat it. Coming from a family with a history of digestive problems(TMI...I know),I have really become more aware of what I eat, how, and most importantly, how it will make me feel!

I do eat some sugar today, in fact there was some baked on the top of the scone that I had at the Give Thanks Bakery today:) However I monitor my intake and make better decision now than I did before.

Can't wait to hear how it goes for you!

missmessy said...

Good job! I have wanted to do this for a long time. I just keep procrastinating. Its the breakfast thing that gets me everytime I think about trying it. You can only eat eggs so many days a week for breakfast....Are you allowing yourself Stevia?

aMichiganMom said...

No Stevia. Not because I think anything bad about it, but I just want to see what it is like to have no "sweetness" in my life for a month.

Tara - What you have achieved, is ultimately my end goal...to have the knowledge to know what sugar does to my body so I am able to make better decisions about it.

Post a Comment