Thursday, June 25, 2009

Garlic Scapes & White Bean Dip

This week, one of the items we got in our share was garlic scapes.

Garlic Scapes

The farm sent out an email with this article about scapes from the NYT. One of the recipes was for a White Bean and Garlic Scapes Dip that I decided to try.

The recipe called for canned beans, but I find the flavor and texture much better when I cook the beans myself. For this reason I got a Pressure Cooker a couple of months ago so I can cook dried beans when I need to without pre-soaking them. If you are wondering about the oil, my Pressure Perfect Cookbook said that beans foam a lot and that you need to stop this by adding oil. So that is what I do. Here are the beans ready to be cooked:

White Beans Ready for Pressure Cooker

And here they are cooking:


The next step was pretty easy, just put the scapes, lemon juice, salt and pepper in the food processor and blend it up:


Ready to blend up the Scapes


Scapes in the food processor

Then put the beans in the food processor, add some water and olive oil until you reach a consistency you are happy with and then you have this beautiful and tasty dip:

White Bean & Garlic Scapes Dip

For lunch I spread the dip on our sandwiches and added a little parlsy, cheese and salami.

For dinner we had it with some Whole Wheat Melba toast crackers.

I think the Melissa Clark, the author of the original recipe, had it right when she descripted the taste of scapes as "a gently spicy undertone and an exquisitely fresh green, mellow taste."

No comments:

Post a Comment