Monday, September 01, 2008

Homemade Granola Bars

Tried this recipe for Homemade Granola Bars.

The taste was AWESOME! But I couldn't get the bars to cut right without falling apart. I am not used to having things not turn out for me, even when I alter the recipe on the first attempt like I did. I made a couple of changes to the recipe which I will detail below, but I think my real problem was that I didn't chop the Almonds enough before putting them in. Next time I want to make them, I will used slivered almonds instead.

I also made the following modifications:
  • I used caster sugar because I couldn't find the sticky bun sugar. I think this is a contributing factor to the cut failure. The recipe says it should be bubbly, but mine never got bubbly.
  • Instead of Oat flour, I used half oat bran and half wheat germ
  • I used three cups of fillers: dried cranberries, coconut, almonds, pepitas and peanuts.
Next time I plan on following the recipe exactly, but after that I already have an idea for a modification. If you have ever had the Nature Valley crunch PB granola bars, the top has a super thin layer of Peanut Butter on them. I will try this in a future attempt and let you know how it goes.

Granola Bars uncut

1 comment:

Nooyawka said...

Um, we don't make granola bars. Bars seem to require calorific sticky stuff to keep them together. Plain old granola is good enuf for us, thank you.

Post a Comment