Monday, December 28, 2009

Wii Exercise Workouts

Photo: daveynin

For the past year, I have been really good about working out. From November of 2008 to March of 2009 I was going to the gym 4 days a week.  Then it got warm enough to fit about 3-4 outside runs in a week.  I was doing really well until September of this year.  Then my son started a new school that starts at 8AM and my morning workout routine got really messed up.  Getting up at 5AM to make it to the gym, workout, get back home and prepare the kids for their day and me for work wasn't going to happen because I usually need to stay up late to work after the kids go to bed.

Enter the Wii.... I've only had it for a week (an awesome Christmas gift from my parents), but this is my plan for Exercise in 2010 while it is cold out (I'll get back to running in summer).

It has a lot of benefits for our family's schedule:

  • I can workout anytime I want.  
  • No need to worry about the weather.
  • It isn't dependent on me having to have someone home to watch the kids so I can go to the gym or run outside.
  • I don't have to try to schedule my workouts around when the gym has the babysitters there.  
  • Bonus: The kids get some exercise too and have just some good 'ole family fun together.
So far I have the Wii, the Biggest Loser and Dance Dance Revolution to start me off, but I have my eyes on the Wii Fit Balance Board too.  EA Sports Active also seems interesting.

Initially, it may seem like a lot to purchase, but everything above costs a little under $450 (and you don't have to get it all).  The gym by us charges about $100+ a month for a family membership.  So you can see that the Wii is a cost-effective health investment when compared to a year of gym membership fees.










What are your plans for exercise in 2010?  How do you fit in working, being a mom, and trying to keep healthy?  I would love to hear from others on how they fit their workouts in each week.

No comments:

Post a Comment